Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mill River Park



I took my dog Porter for his usual walk at Mill River Park in North Amherst today. The river was really flowing without much ice, and the fields were pretty bare. Winter will be returning tomorrow, I am told.



We found a few structures made of sticks in the woods. My children tell me that they are Fairy houses. Who am I to doubt them. Perhaps dwarfs live there?



We met a group of dog-walkers in front of the Mill Canal Newt. It is great to see so many folks outside today enjoying this mid-winter thaw. Tomorrow I will be shoveling sidewalks all day in the blizzard. Today we were letterboxing!



Hiking with my dog and kids is one of my favorite activities. Perhaps the nicest things about the Pioneer Valley for me is the huge trail system. There is so much public land open for recreation, and it really adds to the quality of life. After tomorrow, I will have to get the xc-skis out!

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    I'm pretty sure the structures are called "Roman Hill" Designed by the Upstairs Room Kids At Cushman School...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Youssef. I often wonder who is having such fun playing with sticks in the woods. I thought it must have been older kids from the neighborhood building these forts, some of them have been quite elaborate. Last winter there was a 6' tall stick frame shelter with a roof.

    ReplyDelete