Thursday, February 11, 2010

No snow here.

Here is the scene in my yard this afternoon. Some blizzard. All of the weathermen had called for at least 4" - 6" of snow! I'm glad they were wrong, I can't wait for spring to be here. And you never know in New England when that will be. Some years the ground is thaw and dry in mid-March. Unfortunately though, mud season usually extends itself to the end of April.

Until then, the landscape can seem so barren without snow. All the browns and greys are a downer. That combined with the short days can make you want to reach for the prozac. To fight off the S.A.D. winter blues, I like to use a good mix of rocks and evergreens in my landscape designs (as you can see in the shot of my front yard). To me rocks are always interesting. Perhaps it's from growing up in the Granite State (NH). I even have a rock on a spring (Thank you John Sendelbach). That way, the rock is always moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment