Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The value of community gardening


Lately I have been thinking globally about how I can act locally to help with our slow economy. A basic underlying problem with the modern world's economy is the deficit and growing debt incured by Europe and the United States, and this will not be easily reversed. However, using locally manufactured goods and local products keeps wealth in our community. Our gardens should create wealth for us rather than taking value away.

Quoting from Tom Hartman LINK
"Manufacturing and extraction are the only two ways to “create wealth.”
“Wealth” is different from “income.” Wealth is value, which endures at least for some time. Income is simply compensation for work. If you wash my car for $10 and I mow your lawn for $10, we have a GDP of $20 and it looks like we both have income and economic activity. But no wealth has been created, just income"
On the other hand, if I build your car, I’m creating something of value. And if you turn my lawn into a small farm that produces food we can all eat, you’re creating something of value. Not only do we have an “economy” with a “GDP,” we also have created wealth."


GOSHEN STONE PATIO WITH FRUIT TREES IN AMHERST

With this in mind, I plant to use more local products like Goshen stone, Black Locust lumber, and native plants in my projects. I already do this as much as posible, but now I see it more as a mission of educating folks. I also hope to plant more edible plants.

Increasing energy efficiency through landscaping, as well as reducing maintenance expenses, helps preserve wealth too. Reducing lawn size and using appropriate plants is the way to go.



There are several community gardens around the valley, and I hope to see more. Getting a community farm share, joining a coop, or planting fruit trees are ways we can create symbiotic relationships with our local landscape. Any way that our community can become more self sustaining will help preserve our wealth. I believe that globalization is an issue best addresed by working toward a localpermaculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment